Sew Me Silly!

A Little of this and a little of that and before you know it there is more than you can do! Join me in a quest to save myself........

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sunday Retro

I have had an indulgent day. Today I cut out and sewed together a dress for myself - a rare thing indeed!

I found a great retro summer dress pattern and some retro look fabrics and hey presto....

just love the fabric in the skirt


the empire line with the gathered drawstring is quite flattering.
I am really pleased with the finished dress. It is probably a size too big but hey, a few choccy bars will fix that.

I fully lined the bodice (which is a complimentary coloured fabric to the skirt) with the skirt fabric. I used a different fabric for the waistband and repeated that fabric on the hem - which still needs finishing. I plan to put some old buttons on the shoulders for detail.I have top stitched all the seams and edges so looks quite snazzy.

Next time I will make a size smaller, in hot pink and orange fabrics. I like that I can alter the neckline - this one is a sweetheart neckline -  might do a round neckline next. I think a square neckline would be snazzy too. I was thinking some pockets might be cool- oversized on the side fronts, or even old doilies would be very pretty. Will try some other versions ...

.....and yes of course I have started something new when there is still so much to finish - but the fabrics did come from my stash and have been sitting there for a while and so whilst not strictly a UFO I am allowing myself the indulgence of sewing something pretty for myself.

The scrap fabrics left over will make a lovely little dress for my granddaughter.

I finished off almost all the little tee shirts last night - have four more to do tonight and can then count them in my UFO tally.

Enjoy your Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pamela,
    Thanks for responding to my thread on the Blog Frog for guest posts. If you are still interested I have December 11th open. Please let me know if this date will be good for you.
    Please email me at trishabdesigns{at}hotmail{dot}com
    Thanks
    Trisha
    3 Four and Under

    ReplyDelete